Resource Guide


Where to go for help


Local and state agencies

Adult Protective Services
Michigan Adult Protective Services (APS) receives and investigates reports of suspected elder or adult abuse, neglect, or exploitation. To make a report, call the 24-hour, toll free APS hotline.

If you would like more information about the APS program, contact your local Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (MDHHS) office or look in the white pages of your local telephone directory and ask to speak with an adult services worker or supervisor. Reports must be made to the number above.

Area Agencies on Aging Association of Michigan
Michigan’s area agencies on aging keeps up-to-date information on programs and services that are available in the community to assist seniors.
1-517-886-1029 (Click on “AAAs” tab to find your local Area Agency on Aging) (Click on “Aging Services” tab to contact your local Area Agency on Aging)

Attorney General
The Office of the Attorney General has a Consumer Protection Section. It operates the Michigan Consumer Protection Hotline.
525 W Ottawa St Fl 7 | Lansing, MI 48933-7712
1-517-373-111 (Lansing, Michigan)
1-313-456-0240 (Detroit, Michigan)

Better Business Bureau
The Better Business Bureau can help consumers with complaints against businesses.

BBB of Detroit & Eastern Michigan
20300 W. Twelve Mile Rd | Southfield, MI 48076-4163
Fax: 1-248-356-5135
Office hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
BBB Serving Western Michigan
2627 East Beltline Ave SE | Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Office hours: 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM Monday thru Thursday 8:30 AM – 12:00 PM 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM Friday


BBB Serving Northwest and West Central Ohio and Southeast Michigan
7668 Kings Pointe Rd | Toledo, OH 43617
1-419-531-3116 Toll Free 1-800-743-4222
Office hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm & Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

Michigan Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
The Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program strives to improve the quality of care and quality of life experiences by residents who reside in licensed long term care facilities.  Ombudsmen advocate for residents of Nursing Homes, Homes for the Aged and Adult Foster Care Homes.
Michigan MI Health Link Ombudsman Program
The MI Health Link Ombudsman (MHLO) serves as an advocate and problem-solver for beneficiaries enrolled in MI Health Link.  MHLO works with health plans, Pre-Paid Inpatient Health Plans (that offer behavioral health services), the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, and the federal governments to spot issues identify best practices, and offer solutions that will help make the MI Health Link program work better for beneficiaries.

Find a listing of local mediators in Michigan. Mediation can help resolve disputes and may sometimes be an alternative to legal action.

To reach a mediation center nearest you, call 1-800-873-7658 (Click on “Membership,” then “Directory,” then type the word, ‘Mediator’ to the ‘Organization Contains’ box, enter your location in the appropriate section, then click “Search”)

Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program (MMAP, Inc.)
MMAP, Inc. is a free health-benefit counseling service provided to Michigan residents.

Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
1-517-373-3740 General Information (1-800-649-3777 for hearing impaired callers)
1-855-275-6424 Customer Service
1-800-642-3195 Medicaid Customer Help (Click on “Assistance Programs,” then “Health Care Coverage”)

MiCAFE/Benefits Enrollment Center
To see if you qualify for additional benefits that you may be entitled to, visit their website: (Michigan’s Support Older Adult’s Portal)
Also see

Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
The Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, in the Office of the Attorney General, investigates and prosecutes abuse and fraud by health care providers. The MFCU also runs the Senior Patrol to uncover fraud.
1-855-MI-FRAUD (643-7283) (Click on “Doing Business with MDHHS,” then “Health Care Providers”)

To submit an online complaint or write a letter to report the fraud: (Click on “Doing Business with MDHHS,” then “Health Care providers”, then “Medicaid Fraud Hotline,” then “Office of Inspector General.”

Police or Sheriff
Find local state police posts through the Michigan State Police (MSP).

IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY CALL 911. If you have a matter that requires local action or assistance, please contact your local MSP post or call 24/7 at 1-517-332-2521.

Find the local sheriff’s office through the Michigan Sheriff’s Association.

Federal agencies

Numerous federal agencies play a role in combatting fraud and abuse and educating consumers. Contact them for more information.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
1-855-411-(CFPB) 2372

Do Not Call Registry

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Federal Trade Commission
1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)

Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force

Postal Inspection Service

Social Security Administration

Department of Veterans Affairs

For legal help


State Bar of Michigan
For legal assistance, go to the State Bar of Michigan by visiting their website: (Select “For Public.”)

Elderlaw of Michigan
The Legal Hotline for Michigan Seniors
3815 W St Joseph, Suite C200 | Lansing, MI 48917

Michigan Legal Services
2727 Second Ave | Detroit, MI 48201

Legal Services of Northern Michigan

130 Spruce St W | Sault Suite Marie, MI 49783
1-906-632-33611349 S Otsego Ave Unit 7B | Gaylord, MI 49735
1-989-705-1067806 Ludington St | Escanaba, MI 49829

221 Garland St | Traverse City, MI 49684

123 N 2nd Ave #1 | Alpena, MI 49707

112 W Washington St #1 | Marquette, MI 49855

Legal Services of Eastern Michigan
436 Saginaw St #101 | Flint, MI  48502

320 S Washington Ave | Saginaw, MI  48607

Lakeshore Legal Aid | 30500 Van Dyke Ave #601 | Warren, MI  48093

Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM)
LSSCM is a division of the Michigan Advocacy Program (MAP) who provides free legal advice and representation to low income persons and senior citizens in South Central Michigan.
3480 Belle Chase Wy, Suite 50 | Lansing, MI  48911

Ann Arbor Office
420 N Fourth Ave | Ann Arbor, MI  48104
1-734-665-6181 or

Battle Creek Office
123 W Territorial Rd | Battle Creek, MI  49017
1- 269-965-3951 or

Family Law Project Office
University of Michigan Law School
Hutchins Hall | Ann Arbor, MI  48109

Jackson Office
540 N Jackson St | Jackson, MI  49201
1-517-787-6111 or

Monroe Office
1118 A South Telegraph | Monroe, MI  48161
1-734-241-8310 or

Farmworker Legal Services
3030 S 9th St, Suite 1A | Kalamazoo, MI  49009
1-269-492-7190 or 1-800-968-4046

Michigan Elder Justice Initiative (MEJI)
MEJI focuses primarily on issues affecting the most vulnerable older adults including long term care; guardianship; public benefits; and elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  MEJI also works closely with disability advocates to address issues of shared concern.
15851 S US 27, Suite 73 | Lansing, MI  48906

State Bar of Michigan Access to Justice
306 Townsend St | Lansing, MI 48933-2083

Sixty Plus, Inc., Elderlaw Clinic
Cooley Center, 9th Fl | 300 S Capitol Ave
Lansing, MI 48933

Free legal services for people over age 60
Find local programs that provide free legal help to people over age 60 by contacting the national Eldercare Locator.

Free legal services for low-income people
Find local programs that provide free legal help to low-income people on the website of the Legal Services Corporation.

Fee-for-service lawyers
The Michigan State Bar has a lawyer referral service and so do several county bar associations.
For accounting help


Find a local certified public accountant (CPA) on the website of the American Institute of CPAs.

Visit for the Michigan association of CPA’s.

These guides were adapted from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s (CFPB) Managing
Someone Else’s Money guides. The CFPB has not reviewed or approved the content in this guide and the CFPB does not endorse the final product.

Sixty-Plus, Inc. prepared this guide with financial assistance from Western Michigan University-Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing Area Community Trust, and Capital Region Community Foundation to include information about Michigan state law and resources.

Managing Someone Else’s Money in Michigan is supported by the Prevent Elder and Vulnerable Adult Abuse, Exploitation, Neglect Today (PREVNT) Initiative state fund grant awarded to Sixty Plus, Inc. Elderlaw Clinic from the Aging and Adult Services Agency/Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (AASA/MDHHS).

The information or content are those of the authors and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any official endorsement be inferred by the AASA/MDHHS.